Punta Trettu Kite Beach Sardinia, the best kite spot with flat and shallow water
Punta Trettu Kite Beach Sardinia is a famous kitesurf spot located in the South West of Sardinia, in front of Sant’Antioco, near the village of Matzaccara. It is considered the best kite spot of Sardinia and one of the best kite spot in Europe and in the world. The characteristics that make it fomous worldwide are the flat water, the shallow water and the steady winds. Thanks to these perfect conditions, kitesurfing is easy for all kite levels. from beginners, that can easily learn how to kitesurf, to advanced kiters, that can improve their kite level with new tricks and jumps.
Where is Punta Trettu Kite Beach?
Punta Trettu Kite Beach is located in the area of Punta Trettu, in the South West of Sardinia, near the village of Matzaccara, in the Municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu.
Once in Punta Trettu, the Kite beach of Punta Trettu is located at the right at the end of the strip of land visible from the small marina.
The address of Punta Trettu Kite Beach is: Punta Trettu, 09010 Matzaccara (CI), Sardinia, Italy.
What does Punta Trettu mean?
Punta Trettu is a tip (Punta) that faces straight ahead (“Trettu” in Sardinian, “Dritta” in Italian) to the island of Sant’Antioco.
Due to its perfect conditions for kitesurfing, Punta Trettu is always associated with the Kitesurf. That is why “Punta Trettu”, “Kite Punta Trettu”, “Punta Trettu Kitesurf”, “Kitesurfing Punta Trettu Sardinia” are now commonly considered synonyms.
Punta Trettu Kite Beach is the kite spot of Punta Trettu.
Why Punta Trettu Kite Beach is the best Kite Spot in Sardinia?
Punta Trettu is a Kite Spot famous for its perfect characteristics that make kitesurfing fantastic and easy for all kite levels, allowing the kite beginners to learn fastly and the advanced kiters to improve their level.
The main characteristic of the Punta Trettu Kite Beach Sardinia are the typical characteristic of a lagoon:
- shallow water,
- flat water, also in case of strong winds,
- steady blowing winds.
- sandy bottom,
- clear sea water.
Description of the Kite Spot of Punta Trettu
- Name: Punta Trettu Kite Beach.
- Location: Municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu, South Sardinia (have a look at this map).
- Main caracteristic: Flat and Shallow water, sandy bottom.
- Kite level required: Beginner.
- Best winds: Mistral (north west) and Scirocco (south east).
- Wind for waves: No Wind for Waves, Flat Water Spot.
- Water temperature: 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range: 12-40 knots.
- Facilities: Parking, Bar, Accommodations, Kitesurf, Windsurf, Sup, Beach Volley; Kite Zone, Camper area.
- Distance of the Kite Beach from parking: 10 min.
Punta Trettu is considered the best kitesurf spot of Sardinia, one of the best kite-spots in Europe and in the world.
First kiters discovered Punta Trettu in 2008 and from 2010 some kite-schools started to come at Punta Trettu Kite Beach to teach kitesurfing.
“In 2009, I heard that Punta Trettu was a paradise for kitesurfing. When I came in Punta Trettu in 2010 for the first time, it felt in love with Punta Trettu: warm, shallow and flat water, steady winds, sandy bottom: it is a kitesurf paradise”, says Lucas one of founders of KiteGeneration and Punta Trettu Kite Center Sardinia.
Definitely, with shallow and exeptions shallow water, Punta Trettu is considered a paradise for kitesurfing by many kiters coming from all over the world.
Punta Trettu Kite Beach and the kite-zones of Punta Trettu
Although swimmers are pratically not present in Punta Trettu due to the shallow water and to the winds that are oflen blowing here, because the Guard Coast safety rules, kitesurfing is allowed in two kite-zones:
- one kite zone reserved to the official kite-schools of Punta Trettu,
- one kite zone reserved to the independent kiters.
Launch of kites is allowed only at Punta Trettu Kite Beach.
Launch of kites and kitesurfing is not allowed in other areas and zones, neither on the beach in front of the parking / marina. People that will launch / kitesurf out of the authorized areas / zones could be fined by the police.
To make clear what are the kite zones in Punta Trettu, have a look at the below picture.
Winds and Weather Forecasts in Punta Trettu Sardinia
The best winds for kitesurfing at Punta Trettu are the Mistral (North-West) and the Scirocco (South-East). Even winds from South, West or South West could be good when they blow strong.
In addition, thanks to the local thermal winds (not predicted by the weather forecast), the wind of Mistral could be also 5-10 knots stronger than what is expected by Windguru and Windfinder.
Keeping in mund that the thermal wind is not forecastable, to check the forecast for Punta Trettu, you can have a look at the pages here below:
Kite-schools in Punta Trettu Sardinia
Punta Trettu is the best Kite Spot of Sardinia, perfect for all levels including beginners thanks to the flat and shallow water. In this kitesurf spot there are some kitesurf schoola that offer their services.
One of the best kite-schools in Punta Trettu is the Punta Trettu Kitesurf Center Sardinia. In this kitesurf center, that is “free entrance” (no cards needed to get their services), you could find everything you need for kitesurfing and much more. Main services offered at the Punta Trettu Kite Center Sardinia are:
- B&B: if you like to stay overnight, we have lovely rooms, each one with its private bathroom and terrace
- Kite Café (Food & Drink): we offer a wide range of typical food and drink to accomodate all taste buds and give you that extra kick of energybefore and after the kitesurfing
- Free parking
- Free parking for caravan and camper
- Official North Kiteboarding and Mystic Kite School
- Official VDWS kite School
- Shop:: on our shop you can find everything you need to kitesurf including our sponsor brands North Kiteboarding and Mystic
- Info point
- Relax area with swimming pool: your loved ones can relax by the pool while you have fun kitesurfing
- Free Internet Wi-Fi
- Kite equipment washing area
- Hot showers
- Toilets and changing room
- Equipment rental
- Assistance and rescue services
- Kite Repair
- Stone barbecue (BBQ).